￼Personal Care Aides & Employers of Personal Care Aides Training and Research Project
“Building Training…Building Quality” (BTBQ) is now recruiting personal care aides to participate in a PAID training program.
Improve skills and quality of home care!
￼What is the BTBQ training research project?
“Building Training – Building Quality” is a national demonstration research project to develop a training program for personal home care aides [PCA] that will improve skills, job satisfaction, retention and quality of care. It is led by the Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, PHI and Michigan State University with funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services through the Health Resources and Services Administration.
Who is eligible to apply to be a BTBQ training research project student?
– Must be 18+ years old
– Must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident
– Must be able to physically perform PCA tasks
– Individuals currently working, or interested in working as a PCA, in
home settings. All experience levels needed!
– Individuals who have not taken a BTBQ workshop in adult abuse
prevention, dementia or home skills
What will students have to do? What are the benefits?
Applicants selected as students will be assigned to ONE of two research groups: EITHER a Training group OR a Control group. Michigan Works applicants will only be assigned to a Training group.
Training group members will:
– Attend all training sessions for a total of 77 hours of training which may be offered in
various ways to accommodate current employment as much as possible
– Complete all research paperwork
– Receive $50 for each full day of training
– Receive a document verifying competency for completing all classes and demonstrating
PCA skills that can lead to PCA work and career advancement
– Be eligible to be selected to participate in additional research groups that receive a peer
mentor and in-services on dementia, home skills, and adult abuse prevention Control group members do NOT attend the training. They will:
– Receive a one-time $50 payment for completing research paperwork (information form, two brief assessments and a survey about PCA work). Be eligible for training once the research project is completed in 2013.
For more information and how to apply, please contact the following
and ask for BTBQ: Region 2 Area Agency on Aging
Contact: Anna Walbridge at 1-800-335-7881 extension 1704 or 517-592-1704
BTBQ is offered by the Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, PHI, and Michigan State University in partnership with MI Choice Waiver Agents: Grant No. T82HP21496, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Division of Nursing.